The St. Lucie County Sheriff’s Office Patrol Ride-Along Program offers a learning experience which enables participants to observe law enforcement patrol procedures and fosters mutual respect between the public and law enforcement. Interested persons are encouraged to familiarize themselves with the facilities, equipment, and operations through observation during a ride-along in a patrol vehicle.
The following guidelines must be met prior to participating in the program:
- Must be eighteen (18) or older, unless participant is a cadet enrolled in a law enforcement academy or an explorer.
- Must not have been arrested for or committed a violent misdemeanor, any felony, or a crime of moral turpitude.
- A Patrol Ride-Along Program application must be completed.
- Completion of a Criminal Justice Information System (CJIS) Security Awareness test.
- Pass a fingerprint based background check.
- Must not have participated in a ride-along in the prior six (6) months.
Requests will be denied where there is reason to believe that approval would not be in the best interest of the public or the Sheriff’s Office.
The process to participate in a ride-a-long:
- Click here to complete and submit a request to participate form
- An email will be sent to you with instructions on how to access and successfully complete a Criminal Justice Information System (CJIS) Security Awareness course and test.
- Upon successful completion of the test, an appointment will be scheduled for a fingerprint based background check.
- Print the Patrol Ride-Along Program application and deliver to the Sheriff’s Office in person with a photo ID when arriving for the background check appointment.
- Print the Liability Release Form (adult) and deliver to the Sheriff's Office in person with your application.
- Print the Liability Release Form (child) and deliver to the Sheriff's Office in person with your application.
Applicant will be contacted when the process is complete.
If approved, arrive fifteen (15) minutes early for participation and bring photo identification.
Wear proper attire (or participation will be denied).
The actions of participants are under the direction and supervision of the member they are assigned.
Applications must be submitted in person, and identification presented, to the Records Unit of the SLCSO located at 4700 West Midway Road, Fort Pierce, FL 34981. The application may be accessed through the provided link or one may be picked up at the provided address.
Click here to access and print the Patrol Ride-a-Long Program application or contact the Patrol Operations Division at (772) 462-3320.